Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Adjudication

Party appointed arbitrator in connection with a property dispute in Dubai

A young married couple agreed to purchase a villa in Dubai off-plan from a prominent Dubai developer for an amount of about AED 2m. 

 The villa was to be paid in instalments during construction, with 90 percent of the purchase price to be paid by a certain date and the remaining 10 percent to be paid upon completion and handover.  The purchasers duly complied with their obligations, but the delivery of the villa was delayed by more than three years. 

Dispute resolution was by means of arbitration through the DIAC with three arbitrators being appointed, and the purchasers duly commenced arbitration proceedings against the developer.

Peter Evans was the party appointed arbitrator by the claimant and saw the arbitration through to award.